Saturday, August 7, 2010

Love to eat! Hate to exercise! That about sums it up. Always up for a good meal or dessert. Avoid exercise at all cost; that's how I see it. So when I made this decision to become vegan, my first thought was, "Oh no, what will I make for dessert and snack if I can't use eggs or butter!" Seriously, I wasn't worried about main courses, dessert is what concerned me. The main course is just a means to the end - DESSERT. So, here are a few of the wonderful desserts that I have discovered on my journey into the vegan lifestyle.
These are the most scrumptious cookies ever! The kids eat them as fast as I can bake them. They are Cowboy Cookies from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero's book, Vegan Cupcakes Invade Your Cookie Jar. They are full of great things like oats, coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips.

The top picture is of a comforting berry cobbler just like grandma's, except there is no butter or eggs involved. The recipe is from Chef Chole at http://www.chefchloe.com/. This cobbler is so delicious that I not only ate it for dessert the night I made it, but then got up the next morning and had a nice warm bowl of it with a steaming cup of tea for breakfast!

Below the cobbler is a decadent vegan chocolate cake with fresh strawberries and a little chocolate syrup drizzled over it. I used the recipe for Your Basic Chocolate Cupcake from Moskowitz and Romero's book, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World only instead of putting the batter into cupcake cups, I poured into a nine inch cake pan and baked it for 3 - 4 minutes longer than the recipe states. It is so rich and moist. I love it!

These are just a few of the fabulous desserts I have discovered. They are all easy to make and mostly require ingredients that you already have in your pantry. I use organic flour and organic carbon free cane sugar when I bake.

Of course my best discovery was when I learned that Oreos and Nutter Butters are vegan!! They make great after lunch or mid-afternoon snacks and even dessert when I haven't gotten around to baking something.

Remember when baking and using recipes, it's fun to play around. Try different ingredients and garnishes. Have fun and think outside the box. Take a recipe and make it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment