Sunday, September 5, 2010

Vegan Oreo Cheesecake

The other day my husband mentioned that he sure would like some cheesecake. So off to vegweb.com I went and sure enough there were several recipes for cheesecake. We all love Oreos and the recipe for the Oreo Cheesecake had the least amount of exotic ingredients. The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:

19 Oreos
2 1/2 C vegan whipped topping
2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
1 - 8 oz container vegan cream cheese
3/4 C sugar

Crush 15 of the cookies and place in a pie pan. Add melted vegan butter. Mix with crumbs. Use back of spoon to press buttered crumbs on to pie pan to make a crust. Put the crust in the freezer while preparing the filling.

In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients, except for the left over cookies, and mix thoroughly (I actually got out my hand mixer and mixed to get a really smooth texture). Spoon into pie pan, crumble remaining cookies over the pie and freeze for at least one hour.

Several things here that I need to note:

1. I couldn't find any vegan whipped cream so I made my own using another recipe from vegweb.com:

1 pkg. soft (silken) tofu
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C soy milk

Combine all the above ingredients in a food processor or mixer until smooth.
*This recipe makes about 2 cups worth of whipped topping, but it worked fine for the cheesecake recipe.

2. I served the cheesecake frozen.

3. Lastly, it was tasty, but really didn't taste like a traditional cheesecake.. It was more like an ice cream pie. It is also good served with a little chocolate syrup drizzled over the top.

So, on that note, try it out. Tweak it and mess with and see what you can come up with and most importantly enjoy and have fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment